• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernelcare - Unknown Kernel

2.6.32-573.18.1.el6.x86_64 Unknown?

I get the following error when running kcarectl:

# kcarectl --check
    Unknown Kernel (CentOS 2.6.32-573.18.1.el6.x86_64)

# kcarectl --version
    2.5-2

Comment

HI
      you can only use kernel care with cloudlinux and not centos

Comment

KernelCare works with CentOS kernel as well as bunch of others, like Ubuntu, Debian, RHEL, Virtuozzo, Proxmox.
        This particular kernel was recognized on Feb 14th.

Comment

Noticing this now with CentOS kernel 2.6.32-642.el6, which is weird because the kernelcare kernel is using this version

# uname -r
          2.6.32-642.el6.x86_64
          # kcarectl --check
          Unknown Kernel (CentOS 2.6.32-642.el6.x86_64)
          # kcare-uname -r
          2.6.32-642.el6.x86_64
          Also getting an unknown kernel for the latest OpenVZ RHEL6 kernel - 042stab116.1.

# uname -r
          2.6.32-042stab116.1
          # kcarectl --check
          Unknown Kernel (CentOS 2.6.32-042stab116.1)
          # kcare-uname -r
          2.6.32-042stab116.1

Comment

Did you ever get a resolution on this? We are seeing the same thing today, for kernel CentOS 2.6.32-696.10.3.el6.x86_64

- Scott

Comment

I have just purchased kernel care via cpanel and it appears to have installed correctly. however I get this message when trying to install extra patches as shown in this post https://www.cloudlinux.com/imunify36...-now-available

root [/]# kcarectl --set-patch-type extra --update
              Unknown Kernel (CentOS 2.6.32-696.13.2.el6.x86_64)
              root [/]# _

Why am I paying for something that doesnt work.

Comment

After the cPanel 66.0.29 update installed last night, I began seeing the Security Advisor warning that I had no symlink race condition protection, and began investigating because I had successfully installed the "Extra" patchset for version 66.0.26. Im getting the same error about the "Unknown kernel" as Derek. When I try to run the command:

Code:
                kcarectl --patch-info
                I get:

Code:
                Unknown kernel (CentOS 2.6.32-696.13.2.el6.x86_64), no patches available
                Im not sure, but I think the problem may be that Kernelcare is misidentifying the kernel. Take a look at what uname and kcare-uname output:

Code:
                [root@host ~]# uname -r

2.6.32-696.13.2.el6.x86_64

[root@host ~]# kcare-uname -r

2.6.32-696.13.2.el6.x86_64.x86_64
                Kcare-uname has an extra ".x86_64" tacked on the end of the kernel name. That cant be good.

Is there any fix for this yet?

Comment

This kcare-uname -r issue is something we are aware of -- and will be fixing soon (2-4 weeks).

The issue with security advisor is that it doesnt know about extra/free patches and that it fixes symlink issue. cPanel team is aware of it, and is working on it as well. We got very early / approximate ETA of 2-3 months from now for the fix in security advisor.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Igor, but I am confused. The main issue for now is getting the "Extra" patch installed when the kernel is unrecognized. Are you saying it will be 2-4 weeks before we can expect a way to do so?

Comment

No, the new kernel will be supported in a few days. Overall, it is not worth it to update to a new kernel if you have KC. All critical security vulnerabilities are fixed in advance, so you do a reboot for nothing.

Comment

I am also getting the following message

/usr/bin/kcarectl --update
                        Unknown Kernel (CloudLinux 3.10.0-714.10.2.lve1.5.3.el7.x86_64)

Comment

Now getting Unknown Kernel (CentOS 2.6.32-696.18.7.el6.x86_64)
                          /usr/bin/kcarectl --auto-update --gradual-rollout=auto

why is cloudlinux so slow on updating kernel care to fix these new bugs

Comment

Why: Details are here: https://www.cloudlinux.com/cloudlinu...and-cloudlinux

We are the only vendor who is even trying to get the patch. Everyone else gave up even before they started due to how massive change is, and how hard it is to apply to the running kernel.

Comment

Also getting Unknown kernel for CentOS6.9 latest... on the free patch type (for symlink protection).

# kcarectl --set-patch-type free --update
                              Unknown Kernel (CentOS 2.6.32-696.18.7.el6.x86_64)

# kcarectl --check
                              Unknown kernel (CentOS 2.6.32-696.18.7.el6.x86_64), no patches available

# kcarectl --version
                              2.14-2

# uname -r
                              2.6.32-696.18.7.el6.x86_64

# kcare-uname -r
                              2.6.32-696.18.7.el6.x86_64.x86_64

(Following guidance at https://documentation.cpanel.net/dis...ion+Protection for rolling back from their now-discontinued hardened kernel and https://www.cloudlinux.com/kernelcar...lcare?start=20)

Comment

Working...
                              X