Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Documentation regarding upgrade from CL 7 to 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentation regarding upgrade from CL 7 to 8?

Red Hat has posted very detailed and well-written instructions regarding how plan, perform and troubleshoot an upgrade from RHEL 7 to 8.

A third-party website has similarly posted instructions that detail how to upgrade from CentOS 7 to 8.

However, after searching all of the various incongruous parts of the CL website, I am unable to locate any documentation that references how to upgrade from CL 7 to 8, nor a single blog or forum post that even discusses the feasibility of attempting an upgrade rather than simply moving to a newly installed computer or VM.

Hello? Does anyone see a problem here?

I can accept that CL 7 admins may be better off moving apps and services to a new VM or computer because a clean install has always been the best choice, especially with the very major changes accompanying 8, but why hasnt this been mentioned in a blog post or addressed by CL staff?

All those upgrades work well ... when you dont have 3rd party apps like cPanel/Plesk/etc -- that dont support such upgrades.

Given that vast majority of our customers run them ... there is no straightforward upgrade path (and why we didnt bother to publish instructions)

Otherwise... you can try following RHEL/CLOS guides. I mean, you can always convert CL to CentOS, upgrade, convert CentOS to CL if you want to.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the information.

Comment

Could you share how it went? Any problems?

Mitch

Comment

Working...
        X