Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion: cpanel "addon" to send notification emails to customers when LVE limit exceeded.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent script, thanks for sharing. This very same need is what Ive wanted since beginning with CloudLinux and I finally began searching for it today. In our case, wed prefer only admin gets the alert so if you do proceed to a WHM plugin please consider that as an option.

N.B. The script has a space in one variable at the top: $email_fr om
    Also mismatching CODE tags have found their way into the second section.

For those who arent sure: Save the script to a folder, and add it to the crontab using CLI:

Code:
    $ crontab -e
    like this:

Code:
    0 5 * * * /usr/bin/php -q /yourfolder/lvealert.php
    and it runs once a day at 5am.

Comment

Anything missing? http://ow.ly/i/4glsN

Comment

> Anything missing? http://ow.ly/i/4glsN

Instead of giving them only a few time options, let them specify whatever they want, like this:

Run notifications every [ x ] [ minutes/hours/days]

So in the first box they can put a number. In the 2nd box they can choose minutes or hours or days as the time. So this way, they can choose any timing they want.

Also might want to have a link that shows the template that will be used, or at least where the template can be manually edited.

Comment

Looks great Igor, thanks.

+1 for Host Providers suggestions.

If its all the same, may as well add check boxes for ype of fault notification and even hreshold, like the current stats filter.

Comment

Agreed with Host Provider and Pioneer:

- Please allow for our own notification schedule (XX minutes/hours/days).
            - Please let us choose which fault types and thresholds will trigger a notification.
            - Please allow for the email templates to be edited.
            Thanks very much for this, Igor!! Even if we do not get any of the above options, I will still be very happy to have notifications!

- Scott

Comment

What would be the reason to have threshold? Why not notify a customer, even if his site failed just once?

Comment

The only reason I could think to have a threshold might be if the admin doesnt want to "scare" their customer who only had a single failure.

For example, since implementing the code above, Ive noticed some of the accounts that were emailed had only one EP failure. The customer contacts us afraid that we are going to suspend their account and wondering if they should upgrade right now... when in fact, we have no idea what caused their website to have an EP failure one time. No upgrade I necessary for this kind of situation, unless they are constantly seeing failures, etc.

So a threshold might be nice, so admin can stop such emails from going out to the website owner.

In other words... if I am a website owner, and my website has one or two failures... I probably dont care much. Im not going to spend more money to "fix" something that only occurs once or twice a week... However, if it gets lots of failures, then I *do* care.

Ideally, it would be nice to have the threshold and ability to receive email or not located inside the customer cpanel. ie: It should be the customer who decided what is the threshold and if they want to be notified of any exceeded limits. (But of course, reseller/server admin should be able to set the default values. So default for server could be threshold of "2 failures before notification. Notification is default to ON, but customer can change if desired, inside the view resource usage page in their cpanel.)

Make sense?

Comment

Same here: if the customer gets emails, no need to scare or threaten them as the support communication time for single faults may be more trouble than its worth.

If Admin gets emails, excessive alerts become painful, and ignored. Typically alerts are set to very sensitive primarily, then as the range of fault frequencies and common behaviour becomes familiar, alerts are dulled to an actionable threshold.

Comment

Completely agree with what Pioneer Websites said. I could not have written my feelings any better or different. Thanks!

- Scott

Comment

Thank you for this, just back to the computer after a few weeks away and can see this has moved on heaps!

Also agree that maximum flexibility in settings would be preferred - but stoked this is making progress.

Will this be released as a new update for LVE Manager or will it simply be an add-on to WHM ?

Should I wait for this (e.g. any idea of timeline?), or is the script by Host Provider fine for production environment?

Comment

Attempt #2

I have decided against the tresh holds per fault, I think it would be "too many" controls. It looks like "too many" already.

Comment

How do I log into that mybalsamiq system to see the new mockup?

- Scott

Comment

Your link requires a login...

Comment

sorry, wrong link. Here is the correct one.

Comment

I really like it!! But are you saying that the thresholds on the right side wont actually be there? (minimum number of faults to notify user, etc.) ??

- Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X