Because Cloudlinux fails to support Directadmin we are going to say goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because Cloudlinux fails to support Directadmin we are going to say goodbye

You know when we signed up with you guys a couple years ago, we thought the lack of Directadmin support was just because Cloudlinux was so new and you were focusing on the widely used (C)rapPanel

We thought if we stick it out for a while that the integration would get better.

But no, hear we are a couple years later and the integration is no more than the day we signed on.

SecureLVE was promised but it never quite got the bugs out... then came along CageFS 1 2 and 3 and still not fully compatible with Directadmin.

I also ready about features all the time such as SecureLinks which dont have Directadmin support.

When we ask for better integration we get responses like: Cpanel is more widely used, there is not enough demand for Directadmin

Well did you ever stop to think that maybe just maybe the Directadmin people have not jumped on the bandwagon because the documentation for CloudLinux is riddled with "WE ONLY SUPPORT PLESK AND CPANEL"

Last time I checked the directadmin community had 19,857 Members

That is by no means a small customer base for you, if you actually took the time to include us in your integrations.

Right now as it stands I dont see what cloudlinux actually does for Directadmin that is not already handled by a litespeed + Directadmin installation

Directadmin does do mostly RPMs but there are some cases where it compiles software as well such as apache and php... Though everything that it builds is done through a single script called "custombuild" it is a simple shell script that could easily have anything special Cloudlinux needed added in for compatibility but yet all I seem to get for these couple years is excuses.

I hope other Directadmin companies get to read this and realize they are better off putting their money into litespeed web server that actually takes the time to support directadmin... because there is nothing more cloudlinux will offer you than is not already done by litespeed and you will get better performance.

Yes I understand that cloudlinux and litespeed are two different products, but since cloudlinux doesnt support directadmin in any of its major features... the only plus is basic LVM limitations... litespeed already has limitations built into it and performance optimization that will allow you to achieve high density hosting.

We turned to Cloudlinux because it was a promising OS for better security... but it continues to lack support for directadmin.

And no you will never see the day that we use CPanel like the kiddie hosts and their lack of know how forces them to use. Why exactly would we want to take a performance optimized OS like cloudlinux and a performance optimized web server like litespeed and couple it with a slow, cludgy, security hole ridden bloated piece of CrapPanel.

While I see why Crappanel customers need to jump on these other performance optimizations, its because they need to give their control panel room to function.

But to me it seems like the ideal solution is to combine the best of the best in terms of performance:
    1) Cloudlinux
    2) Litespeed Web Server
    3) Directadmin

I really had high hopes for cloudlinux, but so far I feel let down as you can see, hopefully they get their act together and we can all enjoy the benefits of their great product. Because for us non skiddie sysadmins we like performance and that cannot be found in CRAP PANEL

I am sorry to hear that, but if you are using LiteSpeed -- I am not sure what this post is about.
    DA has a wired/bad way to compile Apache from scratch with no easy way to hook in/apply our changes.
    More than that -- it changed in the past two year., and might be still changing.
    Yet, we still ship modules for it, and it work.

On the other hand if you use LiteSpeed -- all you have to do is to enable CageFS on LiteSpeed side.

Though, don expect things to change too much DA side, until we see some interest from DA.
    You might like/dislike cPanel, but we get response from their support/developers same day or next day when we need anything.
    Same is true about ISPManager. Plesk is anywhere from 1 day to 3 days.
    InterWorx usually one day

DA -- it is usually never. We just don get any answers from them. Anything we need we have to figure out on our own, with no directions from DA staff at all.
    We have quite a few DA customers, but until we get at least some pointers from DA developers -- DA will always be last component for us to implement.
    And I am sure it is same for other plugin creators.

Comment

Oh yes, and LiteSpeed implemented SecureLinks...

Comment

Good day, ExsysTech:

While I do hope for the day CloudLinux will move beyond being a champion only for cpanel, CloudLinux can be very helpful without direct automation system support.

Thank you.

Comment

As a DirectAdmin user Ive been wanting to use Cloudlinux for a while now, and its very unfortunate to see the support for DA going so slow. As an attempt to mediate between CL and DA Ive asked DA support trough e-mail about this matter. If there are any questions about DA, theres no problem in emailing them to DA support. Ive received the reply within 1 day.

In the e-mail I suggested that you could ask questions on the DA forums since theres a quite active community. But that wasn necessary DA told me (but no problem either!). So in anyway, please let knowledge about DA don stop you from developing!

Comment

+1

Igor please. We waiting sooooo long for DA features. Soooo long. :evil: :cry:

If you have problems than maybe WE CAN HELP on http://www.directadmin.com/forum/
            you have account there, youve been there. Come to us.

best regards

Comment

You might not believe it, but we fully committed to support DA, and we have quite a big DA install base.
              DA LVE Manager plugin was second only after cPanels.

Anyway, here are two posts that I submitted
              We need to add hooks to custombuild, so that on recompile following actions would be taken: 1. apr library will be patched with our code 2. suPHP would be patched 3. suexec would be patched 4. our module would be build Where would I start, how would I do something like that?

To make our MySQL Governor compatible with DA, we need to install our version of MySQL or latest version of MariaDB. 1. How can we install custom version of MySQL, and make sure they will not get overwritten by DA admin? 2. How can we detect which version of MySQL is running on that particular...

First one is needed for CageFS integration (securelinks can be installed today via mod_hostinglimits), second one for MySQL governor.

Once we resolve apache integration, we will need beta testers willing to help us to setup CageFS template.

Comment

> Peter Abraham wrote:
                > Good day, ExsysTech:
                >
                > While I do hope for the day CloudLinux will move beyond being a champion only for cpanel, CloudLinux can be very helpful without direct automation system support.
                >
                > Thank you.

Not really, read the docs... Mainly CPanel and Plesk are supported on any of the features that make CloudLinux useful for DA.... anyways the thread is about those features being integrated for improved security such as SecureLinks and SecureLVE/CageFS

Anything else that CL offers is already offered through the Litespeed + DA integration and at greater performance improvement.

What we are seeking is that all the features be implemented so you can use Litespeed + DA + Cloudlinux for the best of performance and security.

Comment

Hi Igor

> Igor Seletskiy wrote:
                  > I am sorry to hear that, but if you are using LiteSpeed -- I am not sure what this post is about.

We are using litespeed with DA meaning everything uses apache configuration files because litespeed is a drop in replacement for apache in control panels such as DA

> DA has a wired/bad way to compile Apache fr om scratch with no easy way to hook in/apply our changes.
                  >
                  > More than that -- it changed in the past two year., and might be still changing.
                  >
                  > Yet, we still ship modules for it, and it work.

Apache is compiled from scratch using the "custombuild" shell script... it is not developed by DA themselves but rather one of the members on the forum... just search the forum for custombuild and you will find a user by the name of SMtalk, he will gladly add the support you need into the script.

> On the other hand if you use LiteSpeed -- all you have to do is to enable CageFS on LiteSpeed side.

Really? wh ere does it say Directadmin + Litespeed Supports CageFS in the documentation? cause as I can tell cageFS is not even an option in litespeed control panel only SecureLVE is... and definitely no indicator of it working with litespeed in apache configuration mode.

> Though, don expect things to change too much DA side, until we see some interest from DA.
                  >
                  > You might like/dislike cPanel, but we get response from their support/developers same day or next day when we need anything.
                  >
                  > Same is true about ISPManager. Plesk is anywhere from 1 day to 3 days.
                  >
                  > InterWorx usually one day
                  >
                  > DA -- it is usually never. We just don get any answers from them. Anything we need we have to figure out on our own, with no directions from DA staff at all.

I have asked you a few times over the past two years if you would like me to get you in touch with them, I believe I even gave you their direct email address at one point but I would have to double check my email to be sure.

In the 7 years I have been with Directadmin it has never taken them more than 24 hours to respond to an email I sent them. You pointed out forum topics... the forums are a community driven area, DA staff rarely chimes in if even reads the forums at all... You have to email them.

> We have quite a few DA customers, but until we get at least some pointers from DA developers -- DA will always be last component for us to implement.

Again via email communication with you I have offered my help several times in the past but you never requested more than me to be a beta tester.

> And I am sure it is same for other plugin creators.

No not really, the ones who use the proper support methods always get their questions answered... Litespeed is a perfect example... read through their changes logs and you will find they have added plenty of Directadmin support into the litespeed system over the years.

Comment

We are ready fot testing

Comment

I dont mean to be Harsh, but last time we had the discussion about direcatmin and SecureLVE and I was told soon it will be ready for beta testing and that never came... then CageFS is on to version 3 and it still lacks directadmin support.....

It is frustrating that a year later from that discussion we had that I go to build out a new system with cloudlinux just to find I still cant use any of the security features.

Honestly DA is not hard to figure out... it is the simplest control panel there is... it does not do a bunch of custom stuff like CPanel and others do, in fact quite the opposite, it was designed to allow system administrators to do their jobs and install or modify whatever they want and it wont break the control panel.

Think of DA as not even being there, it is no different than if you install LAMP by yourself... which is what a control panel should be... If I want to upgrade to the latest and greatest PHP from source or RPM I should be able to, if I want to add whatever patch into whatever system I should be able to... the control panel should not dictate how I manage my system.

Once you wrap your mind around the freedom and understand that DA is just a CP it doesnt care what you do to your system... then you will realize just how much better of a control panel it is and how much easier it is.

Because if you say you cant do what you need to do to integrate CageFS and other features, then you might as well say you cant do it on a stock CentoS 5 install with apache and mysql installed from source or RPM.

And we all know that is BS or cloudlinux wouldnt exist.

Say it with me DA is only a CP it does not interfere with anything installed on the system nor does it dictate what we can install.

That is how and why custombuild was built... it was just some community member who made a shell script that he updates regulary to make it easy for us others to keep up to date on the latest versions and security patches.

Just the same as I made myself a shell script that installs the latest php from source with the exec_dir_patch, suhosin patch, suhosin source, mail header patch and litespeed php lsapi

is this a custom install I do yes, does DA care? NO

and that is one of the biggest reasons control panels like plesk and cpanel are epic fails because they continually force you to wait for the next releases and often go a long time with buggy or exploitable versions of software on your system because if you dare upgrade them on your own or try to install a patched version it breaks the stupid control panel.

Comment

just in case my rant didnt make sense... install whatever version of mysql you want, if you want to install mariadb go for it... if you need to recompile apache from source or do it with an RPM go for it...

just be sure in whatever method you decide to make it possible for people to get your integrations into their system, that it is done in a way they can quickly upgrade to the latest version if they want...

so if you need a module compiled into mysql provide documentation and how to compile your module into mysql this is how litespeed handles the lsapi php... we can use whatever version we want we just have to be sure to include the lsapi module during compile time.

if you need something compiled into apach again provide the documentation on how we compile the module into apache... its that simple really it is. It is nothing different than a stock server with no control panel

Comment

Another great example:

I use Directadmin... DA didnt officially support Litespeed... I wanted litespeed so I installed litespeed and removed apache... BAM my DA server is now running on litespeed.

Another good one:

I use Directadmin... DA didnt officially support MariaDB... I wanted mariaDB so I installed mariaDB and removed mysql.... BAM my DA server is now running on mariaDB

Can you actually do that with any other of the control panels? I think with what I have written here should be enough to open up your eyes to just how overly complicated developing your system for those other control panels actually is.

If you got questions you just have to ask... most of the DA community is experienced system admins not like the Cpanel people who chose it because it does everything for them.

Comment

Sorry to go on but I think there is more I can shed a light on:

Everyone and I mean everyone is probably running different versions of everything, in custom build there is a config script and you type the version that you want so if I wanted mysql 5.3 I would enter 5.3 or if I didnt want to use custom build and I wanted to compile from source with ym own flags and own versions and modules I could.

Just like I outlined my custom php install in my previous post.

custombuild just makes it quick and easy with two commands to install something. So you probably want to talk to SMtalk and get it integrated into the shell script but you also need to provide documentation for others who are doing manual installs or have created their own install scripts.

Here is an example from the custom build config:

> #PHP settings. default_php possible values - 4 or 5, php5_ver - 5.2, 5.3 or 5.4
                            > default_php=5
                            > php5_ver=5.3
                            > php4_cli=no
                            > php4_cgi=no
                            > php5_cli=yes
                            > php5_cgi=no
                            > ioncube=yes
                            > zend=yes
                            > #Possible values - recommended or dist
                            > php_ini_type=recommended
                            >
                            > #Possible values - 5.0, 5.1, 5.5
                            > mysql=5.5
                            > mysql_inst=yes
                            > mysql_backup=yes
                            > mysql_backup_dir=/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/mysql_backups
                            >
                            > #Possible values - 1.3, 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4
                            > apache_ver=2.4
                            > secure_htaccess=yes
                            > harden-symlinks-patch=yes

But I like to add in some security modules to PHP such as exec_dir_patch and suhosin but custombuild does not offer those options so I created my own install script for PHP

Code:
                            #!/bin/sh

## Setup some variables to use throughout the script

PHPV="5.3.7"             # PHP VERSION

PHPBRANCH="5_3_x"          #Needed for new Zend Optimizer

SUHOSINPATCH="0.9.10"   # Suhosin Patch Version

SUHOSIN="0.9.32.1"         # Suhosin Version

ZEND="5.3"            # Zend Optimizer Version

LSAPI="5.5"

ARCH="x86_64"			# x86_64 / i386

yes|yum install autoconf213 automake pkgconfig gmp gmp-devel libc-client libc-client-devel openldap-devel \

openldap-clients ncurses-devel unixODBC-devel openssl-devel libxml2-devel pspell-devel \

pcre-devel pcre curl curl-devel krb5-devel libjpeg libjpeg-devel libpng libpng-devel \

freetype-devel freetype libmcrypt libmcrypt-devel libmhash libmhash-devel libxslt \

libxslt-devel

if [ $ARCH == "x86_64" ]; then

rpm -Uhv [URL]http://centos.karan.org/el5/extras/testing/x86_64/RPMS/libtidy-0.99.0-16.20070615.el5.kb.x86_64.rpm[/URL]

rpm -Uhv [URL]http://centos.karan.org/el5/extras/testing/x86_64/RPMS/libtidy-devel-0.99.0-16.20070615.el5.kb.x86_64.rpm[/URL]

ln -s /usr/lib64 /usr/kerberos/lib

else

rpm -Uhv [URL]http://centos.karan.org/el5/extras/testing/i386/RPMS/libtidy-0.99.0-16.20070615.el5.kb.i386.rpm[/URL]

rpm -Uhv [URL]http://centos.karan.org/el5/extras/testing/i386/RPMS/libtidy-devel-0.99.0-16.20070615.el5.kb.i386.rpm[/URL]

fi

export PHP_AUTOCONF=/usr/bin/autoconf-2.13

export PHP_AUTOHEADER=/usr/bin/autoheader-2.13

## Change to the installation source directory

cd /usr/local/src

echo -e "\n\ncurrent directory is: $PWD\n\n"

## Remove all old directories before we begin

rm -rf php-*

rm -rf suhosin*

rm -rf ZendOpt*

## Get required packages

wget [URL]http://www.php.net/get/php-$[/URL]{PHPV}.tar.gz/from/this/mirror

wget [URL]http://www.kyberdigi.cz/projects/execdir/php-exec-dir.$[/URL]{PHPV}.patch.gz

#wget [URL]http://choon.net/opensource/php/php-$[/URL]{PHPV}-mail-header.patch

wget [URL]http://download.suhosin.org/suhosin-patch-$[/URL]{PHPV}-${SUHOSINPATCH}.patch.gz

wget [URL]http://download.suhosin.org/suhosin-$[/URL]{SUHOSIN}.tar.gz

wget [URL]http://downloads.zend.com/guard/5.5.0/ZendGuardLoader-php-$[/URL]{ZEND}-linux-glibc23-${ARCH}.tar.gz

## Untar PHP

tar xfzv php-${PHPV}.tar.gz

## Begin Patching

gunzip php-exec-dir.${PHPV}.patch.gz

gunzip suhosin-patch-${PHPV}-${SUHOSINPATCH}.patch.gz

cd php-${PHPV}

patch -p1 -i . ./suhosin-patch-${PHPV}-${SUHOSINPATCH}.patch

#patch -p1 -i . ./php-${PHPV}-mail-header.patch

patch -p1 -i . ./php-exec-dir.${PHPV}.patch

## We must sleep for 10 seconds to allow patches to finish

echo -e "\n\nWait 10 seconds then off we go.. .\n\n"

sleep 10

## Compile Suhosin Extension in with PHP

cd ..

tar zxvf suhosin-${SUHOSIN}.tar.gz

mv suhosin-${SUHOSIN} php-${PHPV}/ext/suhosin

## Grab Litespeed LSAPI

cd php-${PHPV}/sapi

wget [URL]http://www.litespeedtech.com/packages/lsapi/php-litespeed-$[/URL]{LSAPI}.tgz

tar zxvf php-litespeed-${LSAPI}.tgz

cd ..

touch ac*

./buildconf --force

## Configure PHP

./configure \

--with-litespeed \

--enable-suhosin \

--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/lib \

--with-curl \

--with-gd \

--with-tidy \

--with-gettext \

--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib \

--with-kerberos \

--with-mcrypt \

--with-mhash \

--with-mysqli \

--with-mysql=/usr \

--with-pear \

--with-png-dir=/usr/local/lib \

--with-libxml-dir=/usr/bin \

--with-zlib \

--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/lib \

--enable-zip \

--with-openssl \

--enable-bcmath \

--enable-calendar \

--enable-ftp \

--enable-magic-quotes \

--enable-sockets \

--enable-mbstring \

--with-xsl \

--enable-exif \

--disable-posix \

--enable-mbregex \

--enable-ucd-snmp-hack \

--enable-discard-path \

--with-pspell \

--with-ttf \

--with-freetype-dir=/usr \

--enable-gd-native-ttf \

--enable-wddx \

--with-imap=shared \

--with-imap-ssl \

--with-exec-dir=/usr/local/exec \

--with-ldap \

--with-unixODBC=/usr \

--enable-inline-optimization \

--with-ncurses \

--with-gmp \

--with-iconv \

--with-layout=GNU \

--with-pdo-mysql \

--with-xmlrpc \

--enable-soap

## Compile and Install PHP

make

make install

## Check if PHP is compiled with LSAPI if it is install it

if [ ! -e "$PWD/sapi/litespeed/php" ]

then

echo -e "\n\nLSAPI Binary could not be found did PHP install as litespeed?\n\n"

exit 0

fi

mv -f sapi/litespeed/php /usr/local/lsws/fcgi-bin/lsphp5

## Install Zend Optimizer

cd ..

tar xfzv ZendGuardLoader-php-${ZEND}-linux-glibc23-${ARCH}.tar.gz

#mv -f ZendGuardLoader-php-${ZEND}-linux-glibc23-${ARCH}/data/${PHPBRANCH}_comp/ZendOptimizer.so /usr/local/lib/php/20060613/ZendOptimizer.so

cd ..

echo -e "\n\nCheck php.ini has the following line: zend_extension=/usr/local/lib/php/20060613/ZendOptimizer.so"

##Echo the PHP installations to make sure everything worked

echo -e "\n\n"

/usr/local/bin/php -v

echo -e "\n\n"

/usr/local/lsws/fcgi-bin/lsphp5 -v
                            As you can see in that script it installs the litespeed lsapi module... which is the same type of thing you would need to provide documentation for in your cloudlinux features so everyone including those who dont use custombuild to install mysql, mariadb or apache can use your great features.

Comment

and kind of off topic ut in response to your MariaDB post.... according to the benchmarks released by the creators of MariaDB on their blog, MySQL 5.5 outperforms MariaDB in every way... they said that is until they release MariaDB 5.5 lol

Comment

Working...
                              X