Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessity of apache rebuild on Cpanel server

Hi,

I just migrated one of our live cpanel server to ClouldLinux. Migration script (centos2cl and install-lve) ran smoothly.

When install-lve script advised about rebuilding apache with easyapache script, we tried to rebuild apache with easyapache. But apache rebuilding failed because of some httpd.conf error fr om our side. Nonetheless, I didnt proceed with apache rebuilding, and directly configured mod_hostinglim its and mod_fcgid settings and it worked fine for us. So just want to know, is it really needed to run easyapache script after install-lve script? Not running it, as I did would cause any problem further?

Regards,

When you run apache in MPM worker or event, CGI scripts like perl scripts are executed via CGID
    CGID has two components module and a daemon.
    CGI scripts are executed via daemon. For us to limit CPU for those CGI scripts -- we have to patch that daemon, and that requires apache rebuild.

On the other hand, if you are using suPHP / mod_fcgid for PHP -- PHP will be controlled/limited right away.

Comment

Ok,

And what if I am using mod_hostinglimits for CGI processes instead of mod_cgid? That wont require apache rebuild right?

Regards,

Comment

mod_hostinglimits doesn do CGI
        It wraps around other things (like mod_suphp, mod_cgi -- note, no d at the end).
        Yet, those things has to run as part of apache, not as a separate daemon.

Comment

Ok,

One more doubt. On non cpanel machines, we dont rebuild apache, and still we be able to restrict perl/php cgi processes, php fastcgi processes etc. How is it then? We dont need to patch apache on non Cpanel boxes?

Regards,

Comment

Usually you have HTTPD (and mod_fcgid) from RPM from CloudLinux on those boxes -- and as the result -- it is already patched...
            cPanel compiles its own apache from source, hence we need to patch it live, and re-build it.

Comment

Working...
            X