Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make the use of resources and cores easier to use, and make it easier to understand how to use them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make the use of resources and cores easier to use, and make it easier to understand how to use them

It took me a bit of experimenting to fully understand (hopefully Ive understood how this works) the use of percentages of CPU resources and cores in Cloud Linux. It seems pretty easy to understand how it works as soon as you are able to grasp the idea, but the reading the explanation in your getting started/documentation will be more confusing than it should be. It should be written a lot easier so potential customers would be able to grasp the principles easier and a lot faster. (It seem to written by a technitian and not by a "copy writer".
    As I understand how CL works if I would set up an account with cpu usage of 25% and 8 cores (ncpu) this would result in a total use of 100% of one core (or 12.5% of each of the 8 cores).
    I do see a few minor problems that I would like to be solved regarding this.
    1. If I would like to use more than 1 core on any account (ncpu) I will need to reboot the server.
    2. Some of my customers will need more resources for a short amount of time (mainly a few hours) a few times during the year. (Like yesterday during the presentation of the iPhone 5.) And to give them more resources there seem to be only two solutions:

- More cores and a reboot.
    - Move the account to a new server without CL for a short time.
    - Similar to 2. but instead of moving the account I would rather set up a "new" and "basic" web site and implement a 3rd party love blogging tool.
    As of today Im using the 3rd option.

But these customers don really need more than 100% of 2-3 cores (2-3 fully dedicated cores) and it will usually only last for 2-3 hours. Normally my servers will never see a load of more than 2 unless during backups.
    These kind of situations happen pretty much 1-2 time during a month.

I would prefer an easier way to do this.
    What if CL could do it like this:
    1 core is 100% --> 8 cores would equal 800% (4 cores = 400%)
    Deafult usage for each account would be 12.5% and this would make it 1/64th for 8 cores (1/8th of a single core).
    It would be a lot easier for myself, and I guess others, if we didn have to reboot every time we edit the ncpu usage.
    This way we would be able to do adjustments if one of our customers would see a spike in visits, they could even pay for the extra resources, for a few hours.
    I also believe this would make it easier to potential users to understand how CL works.

Thor,

We are abonding this scheme all together, as since January, itw as possible to change NCPU on the fly. If you install latest lvemanager (yum install lvemanager) -- you will no longer need to reboot to apply new NCPU.

Comment

Working...
    X