EP / hostinglimits for static files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP / hostinglimits for static files

Single user can hit Apache limits with only static files...

We currently have a situation that a single user can hit Apache limits with only static files.

Since CL already have a hostinglimits module, it would be really nice to extend it with new additional feature for limiting entry processes for static files also. Its really a shame that all limits are already there but CloudLinux currently don care about total Apache processes per domain or per user, and will allow single user/domain to use up all Apache resources and take down the web server.

What do you think about this?

Comment

Isnt Cloudlinux already supposed to do this ? I believe the entry process limit does include apache processes…

Comment

Dejan,

Just change the wild card for allowed handers to match what you want.
        If you want it to cover everything, set it to:

AllowedHandlers *

Comment

Hi Igor,

Thank you. I didn know that is possible... There is nothing in your documentation about this...

Why this isn enabled by default? Is there maybe some large overhead or some other issue with that.

Will that slow down web site loading or create any other problems for server, lvestats etc.

Will that configuration be automatically overwritten on some CloudLinux package upgrade, or during EasyApache execution?

Comment

Documentation: http://docs.cloudlinux.com/index.htm...for_apach.html
            Default -- overhead for LVE for static files is noticeable (unlike PHP scripts/cgi), because of how efficient static file serving is. Hence it is disabled by default.
            And yes, you need to adjust resources/increase limits if you want to add static files for end users into LVE. First of all -- entry processes. I dont know by how much -- we havent done extensive testing for that.

I am not sure if EasyApache will overwrite it, but it should be easily solved by easyapache hook.

Comment

> Documentation: http://docs.cloudlinux.com/index.htm...for_apach.html

Thank you. I dont know how I missed it... I am sure it wasnt there before... Its maybe added recently...

> Default -- overhead for LVE for static files is noticeable (unlike PHP scripts/cgi), because of how efficient static file serving is. Hence it is disabled by default.

I just tested this, and its working really nice, and doesnt really have a noticable overhead.

> And yes, you need to adjust resources/increase limits if you want to add static files for end users into LVE. First of all -- entry processes. I dont know by how much -- we havent done extensive testing for that.

There is no need to increase EP limit, since static files are usually processed very fast and LVE can hardly even catch them, so there is no noticable difference in resource statistics.

For example it needs around 50-80 concurent processes on static file (tested with siege) for LVE to catch around 25-30 entry processes. That is actually a good thing since it will allow normal site to work very good, and to have a "bursts" on static files, without a need to increase any LVE resource limits, and will still prevent a single user to use all Apache processes. I know this is not a real life test, so I will still have to see how it will behave in production.

It looks realy good for now.

Comment

I am glad it is working for you. The overhead is small, but it is measurable. We might decide that it worth keeping it in the long term.

Comment

Working...
                X