Version between Ksplice and server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Version between Ksplice and server

Why does what shows on server a older version then shows in Ksplice?
    I have a few servers and they show the same.
    On server:
    root@server [~]# uname -r
    2.6.18-338.12.1.el5.lve0.8.34
    On Ksplice site:
    Effective Kernel
    2.6.18-374.3.1.el5.lve0.8.44
    Linux (x86_64) 2.6.18-374.3.1.el5.lve0.8.44 #1 SMP Mon Oct 3 18:27:54 EEST 2011

I believe this server had been re-booted just a few days ago,And it still shows the old kernel

Ksplice doesn really update the kernel. It updates applies patches for some security issues, etc...
    Yet, you still run lve0.8.34 kernel, and some new features available there (like ability to switch ncpu on the fly) is not there.

Here is from ksplice FAQ: http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/faq

Does Ksplice Uptrack change the output of uname?
    Ksplice Uptrack does not change the output of uname.

Instead, to see what effective kernel a machine is running use the uptrack-uname utility, which has the same format as uname and supports the common uname flags, including -r and -a.

You can also see a machines effective kernel on your web interface or through our API.

Comment

For those that are lazy like me and not read the docs before ansking the question. The correct command to see the effective kernel is:
      uptrack-uname -r

Which arise from http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/using#uptrack-uname

However since Ksplice only updates per Igor statments. I guess those with Ksplice are still required to update via yum and reboot? Is that correct?

Thanks
      Frank

Comment

I would recommend the upgrade. For some reason ksplice didn include fix for kernel panic fix for lve_list_next race condition -- and we had lots of people complaining about random crashes due to that.

Comment

Working...
        X