Custom TMP directory for all users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom TMP directory for all users

Im using Centos 7 and using XFS, so I cannot Optimumcache, so I got a spare SSD, doing nothing, is a waste isn it?

I was thinking on moving the user/tmp on the SSD since its frequent accessed (especially for sessions). Performance wise it might be a good idea. But as far Im aware there is no such function, or did I miss it??

Any tips of what else I can place on the SSD would also be appreciated. Im using a single SSD for this purpose, so only data that is allowed to be lost, can reside in there.

Hi,

If you are using CageFS there is no way to move users personal tmp/ into that SSD disks as each are located at /home/user/.cagefs/tmp .
    I am in doubt what to place on it to be safe but to get performance improvement. Maybe real /tmp is the best choice as mysql still use it for temporary tables.

Why do you think single SSD is bad and you should not trust it? Maybe some monitoring tools like smartctl could help.

Comment

Hi Bogdan,

Ouch, that is unfortunate, would have loved the performance gain.

The regular /tmp is pretty much empty, so there is no need for it to be on an SSD.

Its not that I do not trust the SSD, Its an enterprise product so I trust it whole heartly. But the problem with single ssd is that when it break, its a single point of failure. I dont care, if the cache is lost, since this is not important. But I do not want to lose important things that cannot be recovered.

Do you have any suggestions that I can do with a single SSD, to enchance speed? Im using a XFS filesystem.

Comment

Sorry, but I really do not see a way to use single SSD to improve performance. I hope other customers are more quealified in this case and will help here

Comment

Haha, thank you for thinking with me about this ~

Is it possible for the home/user/tmpfolder to be located as usual at /tmp without disabling CageFS?

If yes, is there any security problems that can be caused because of it?

Comment

We do not see a way to make single /tmp/ with cagefs, but even if possible - that will be huge security hole which we are fixing with cagefs. Better not to do this.

Comment

Working...
            X