Open VM Tools and Snapshots Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open VM Tools and Snapshots Not Working

Brand new CL7 server with CPanel. It installed open VM tools by default. I am running VMware 6.7 environment with vcenter. Manually when I try to run a snapshot it is unable to quiesce the file system and hangs the entire server. My backup software does the same.

Ive done some investigation and on the web people seems to think it is some sort of incompatibility with VMware Paravirtual disk drivers. I would really prefer to keep the performance increase by using this instead of attempting to revert back to LSI logic.

Has anyone else seen this?

I have Centos 7 machines with open vm tools that backup and snapshot just fine. It has only been my 2 cloudlinux instances. This is why Im wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Also when the vm boots up it in vcenter it shows as Centos 7, however Vmware then picks it up as "Other 3.x or later Linux (64-bit)" after the tools load.

I noticed all my other C7 Vms are using LSI except these 2. So the only difference between the ones I have running are Cloudlinux 7 is different and paravirtual disk drivers are different. Its going to be a combination of one of those or the tools that are failing and the logs dont show much.

Comment

Hello,
      We had some issues reported by clients before with snapshots creation on Vmware machines. The investigation leads to disabling cPanels securetmp feature.
      To disable it just run

Code:
      # touch /var/cpanel/version/securetmp_disabled
      and then remove /tmp entry from /etc/fstab and reboot server.
      This was not specific to CloudLinux systems. CentOS cPanel servers had this problem as well.

Comment

Thanks Ill give it a try.

The work around I had to do for it was to change some parameters in the vmware tools. Ill have to disable this and try your solution with a reboot to be sure.

[vmbackup]
        enableSyncDriver = false

Comment

Sure, thank you. Keep us informed. Do you have servers with CentOS + cPanel in the same environment? Do they have the same problem?

Comment

Yes both Centos7 and Cpanel

Comment

Working...
            X