Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OVH not support anymore CloudLinux distribution installation template ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OVH not support anymore CloudLinux distribution installation template ?

Hello,

I just receive this email from OVHCloud regarding the end-of-life of their CloudLinux Installation-Template.

> Dear Customer,
    >
    > As you may already be aware, OVHcloud has spent a number of years delivering and updating distribution images for customers. This has enabled customers with servers to install up-to-date, secure operating systems.
    >
    > However, some of these distributions are becoming obsolete, rarely used, or they are no longer being maintained. As a result, we are now unable to ensure optimal security for some of the images we offer.
    >
    > This is why we have decided to stop delivering a selection of distribution images.
    > If you have received this email, it is because you are using one of these distributions on your servers.
    >
    > Please read the list below carefully, as well as our advice if you would like to continue using the same distribution:
    >
    > - ArchLinux
    > - CloudLinux
    > - CoreOS
    > - DirectAdmin
    > - Gentoo
    > - Ispconfig
    > - OpenSUSE
    > - Slackware
    > - SmartOS
    > - Solusvm
    >
    > The maintenance for these distributions ended on 03/08/2021, and they they have not been available to install since this date. You can continue using them on your machine, but OVHcloud will not offer these images to re-install.
    >
    > Please take into consideration the security risks associated with this maintenance and update closure.
    > We recommend referring to our Bring Your Own Image guide, to find out how you can create your own distribution images and use them on our servers.
    >
    > Thank you once again for choosing OVHcloud.
    >
    > The OVHcloud Team

I dont know if the deadline is the 8 March 2021 or the 3 August 2021… do you know that ?

I confess that I am a bit surprise as OVHCloud is a paradise for web-hosting provider (resellers)… I mean, regarding to the price (value for money) of their servers. And CloudLinux is a must!

Maybe its a mistake from OVH ?
    Maybe they talk about an old "installation template", and they will restore CloudLinux to their columns after updating their template?
    Or maybe they really want to save time, by not maintaining too much distributions? (I can understand, because they rent material at low prices)

If so, I guess that it means, for the next servers, we must go for "Centos 7 OVH Template", then convert it to CloudLinux directly ? Or you really recommend to follow the official CloudLinux ISO Image Procedure ?

Whats your thoughts ?

Thanks!

EDIT : official article on their status page http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=48936&

Hi,

You can install CentOS 7/8 and then convert to CL OS. The conversion tool is OVH-aware: https://docs.cloudlinux.com/cloudlin...ploy-explained

Comment

My dream comes true Thank you Alexandre ! Good to hear that. Problem solved!

Comment

Working...
      X