Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MySQL Governor permanently Enabled in 'abusers' mode - good, bad, or ugly? :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MySQL Governor permanently Enabled in 'abusers' mode - good, bad, or ugly? :-)

Hi All,

I'm interested to get the benefit of the real-world experience from others in terms of whether the pros outweigh the cons of enabling MySQL Governor on a busy shared server running CloudLinux and WHM.

According to ChatGPT v.4

------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros of having MySQL Governor enabled:
    1. Resource Control: It ensures that no single user or database consumes all the available resources, which can lead to degraded performance for other users.
    2. Predictability: It provides more predictable server performance, as it prevents unexpected resource usage spikes.
    3. Transparency: Administrators can easily identify which users or databases are consuming the most resources.
    4. Limits: It allows setting specific limits for each user or package, providing flexibility in terms of offered plans.
    Cons or considerations:
    1. Overhead: Like any monitoring and control system, MySQL Governor will introduce some overhead. However, in most cases, the overhead is minimal compared to the benefits it provides.
    2. Potential Restrictions: If not configured correctly, it might restrict legitimate queries that are resource-intensive, affecting the performance of certain applications.
    3. Complexity: Introducing another layer of control might add some complexity to your server management.
    Recommendations:
    1. If you are hosting multiple users and databases on a shared server, especially in a shared hosting environment, then it's a good idea to have MySQL Governor enabled. It will help in preventing any single user from hogging all the resources.
    2. If you're running a dedicated server for a single application or client, you might not need the governor. Instead, focus on optimizing the application and database.
    3. Always monitor the performance impact of MySQL Governor on your server. Adjust configurations as necessary to ensure a balance between fair resource allocation and server performance.
    4. Regularly review and adjust the limits set in the governor to ensure they match the requirements of your users and applications.
    In conclusion, for many shared hosting environments on CloudLinux servers, MySQL Governor is a valuable tool that can help ensure fair resource allocation. However, the decision to have it permanently enabled should be based on your specific needs and the characteristics of your server's workload.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to get more specific...

I recognise that there are now just two modes of operation of 'enabled' MySQL Governor:

1. abusers - Use LVE for a user to restrict queries
    2. off - Monitor Only

Does anyone have it set to 'abusers' mode permanantely on a busy shared server? Or perhaps you only switch it to abusers mode if/when the server is experiencing suspected MySQL/MariaDB abuse/issues?

Thx,

Ross

I would like to clarify the abusers mode, to ensure we are on the same page.

In abusers mode, you have 'two levels' of limits:
    • one for user MySQL operations
    • another one for user itself (websites, php scripts, cronjobs)
    When some user reaches its MySQL Governor limits (level one), all his MySQL operations are moved into that user LVE 'container' (level two). And if he has plenty of resources - they will be finished within them.

In abusers mode MySQL governor does not limit the queries by default, it does that only when they are dangerous. It makes sense to enable abusers permanently, and thousands of servers are working in that mode.

I am a CloudLinux representative, now let's wait for our customers to input

Comment

Thanks for that Bogdan.

Do you have any opinions (albeit as a CL rep) on the topic?

I have two busy, healthy, stable CL VPS:

1. One of them does not have MySQL Monitor installed at all.
      2. The other does have MySQL Monitor installed, but in "off" mode.

These servers should be similarly configured in most areas, so I'm just pondering which consistent setting for both to go with.

Thanks.

Comment

You have to enable abusers mode for both of them!

Comment

Working...
        X