• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CloudLinux LVE Limits Question

CloudLinux LVE Limits Question
    Hostking | Since 2013 | Web Hosting | WordPress Web Hosting

Hey fellas,

Got a quick one.

Are these limits good? Seems around 20 or so customers our of 500 on one of our older servers are hitting Entry Processes limits on the Starter Plan. I know CloudLinux Documentation states 20 is ideal for normal sites. But we have ours on 30. Are we being very generous and clients plugins are causing this? Or should we increase it even more for each plan?

Linux Starter / Reseller Starter
    Entry Processes (Concurrent) = 30
    Virtual Memory = 1024MB
    Physical Memory = 1024MB
    CPU = 100% of 1 core
    Total Connections = 100

Linux Basic / Reseller Standard
    Entry Processes (Concurrent) = 40
    Virtual Memory = 1024MB
    Physical Memory = 1024MB
    CPU = 100% of 1 core
    Total Connections = 100

Linux Standard / Reseller Business
    Entry Processes (Concurrent) = 50
    Virtual Memory = 1024MB
    Physical Memory = 1024MB
    CPU = 100% of 1 core
    Total Connections = 100

Linux Business / Reseller Ultimate
    Entry Processes (Concurrent) = 60
    Virtual Memory = 1024MB
    Physical Memory = 1024MB
    CPU = 200% of 2 cores
    Total Connections = 100
    Hostking | Since 2013 | Web Hosting | WordPress Web Hosting

Comment

I need the same help too

Comment

It would be helpful if CloudLinux had some type of guide that would assist with setting up various limits.

- Scott

Comment

Its really impossible for Cloudlinux to give any kind of "limits" advice, because it entirely depends on your business model and your target customers.

It is like asking cpanel to provide advice on how much disk space or bandwidth you should give for each of your packages.

Cloudlinux provides you with the tools to limit CPU/Mem/Processes, etc... but it is up to you to determine what limits are appropriate for your own customers and what kind of business you have.

Comment

I don know if this will help, but we started by setting the limits high and monitoring them to descide which accounts were using more than they should be. Our global aim was to provide stability while not giving users the impression they were being limited.

We went with :

cheapest plan : 2 GHz
            middle plan : 3 GHz
            large plan : 6 GHz
            disk usage : 10MB/s
            No memory limit for the moment as we have too much memory
            100 processes

Ive seen hosts limit to 0.125 CPU each account which makes maximum 400MHz.

Comment

Richard, that is really nice of you to share this -- very helpful!! Obviously we wont copy these settings, but it gives us an idea of what is working in the real world.

Can you comment on the type of hardware you are using these settings on? Im really interested in the disk setup (HD or SSD, Raid type)

- Scott

Comment

Our servers are quite powerfull :

For about 800 accounts

32x 3.1GHz CPU threads
                256 GB ram
                6 drive raid 10
                raid 1 SSDs

On our older servers we limit to :
                2GHz
                2 GB memory limit
                No disk limit (running Cloudlinux 5 that doesnt allow this)
                50 processes

Server specs :

For about 200 accounts

8 x 2GHz CPUs (no hyperthreading)
                16 GB ram
                2x 2TB raid 1
                2x 80 GB ssds

Again, our idea is to prevent a single site from using up all the ressources. The more accounts there are the more likley there will be simultanious bruteforces etc.

We decided to go as powerfull as possible for our server configs allowing a user who rearly uses 6GHz CPU to not slow down other sites.

We have currently disable mysqlgoverner but will be looking into enabeling it again when its marked as stable.

Comment

I don have this kind of power that others have here but, I have 8 packages of various sizes. For me its more about the user getting exactly what they need for they
                  e site.

All 1 Core at 2.8Ghz
                  10%- 20 connections - 8mb / s disk
                  14% - 20 connections - 8mb / s disk
                  18% - 30 connections - 12mb / s disk
                  22% - 30 connections - 12mb / s disk
                  26% - 40 connections - 14mb / s disk
                  30% - 40 connections - 14mb /s disk
                  34% - 50 connections - 16mb /s disk
                  38% - 50 connections - 16mb /s disk

And since I am basing this off % I believe it comes down to how many cores you have. So 4 cores would be technically be 40% at the basic package which translates to about 1.1Ghz. and 4.25Ghz at 38%

I found that wordpress for example really needs more cpu so ideally 25% + OR 3Ghz or more.
                  So my idea is that more basic sites can run off the smaller packages.

I have a custom CMS I use a lot, and it can run no problem on a 10% power. It really comes more down to how much traffic the site has, and how big it is.

Maybe Ill have to change my theory a little, as ideally I want things to be smooth, but so far this has worked well for me.

Comment

All the package ram ans cpu are same but how they perform for max entry process, 1GB memory for 30 EP then 1Gb memory for 50 EP. You should consider memory as well EP.

Comment

Working...
                    X