Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I choose CL 6.7 or 7.1 for new server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I choose CL 6.7 or 7.1 for new server?

Hell all,

Im getting a new server for use in my small shared hosting business and I am unable to decide which version of CloudLinux is best to have it provisioned with. I realize that 7.1 is the newest version, but newest does not always mean best when it comes to stability. I have a lot of small shared hosting customers on my cPanel servers running RHEL 5 that Ill need to migrate over toe a CL server, and Im leaning toward getting the server provisioned with CL 6.7

I just feel really unsure because Im not familiar with CloudLinux yet and I would really appreciate any opinions.

The server will be used for shared hosting of clients with large number of files / big data and a lot of mySQL usage because I host mostly customers with e-commerce web sites that use a lot of PHP scripts / blogs / galleries.

Im just really unsure of which version of CL to choose for my new server and could really use the advice of someone more experienced.

Thank you for any feedback!

I would recommend going with CL 6.x -- it is still much more stable then 7.x

Comment

Thanks for your reply Igor!

Comment

Hello Igor,

Do you have an idea about how many months will be required for CL7 to start being recommended ? We don want to start a new server on CL6 and we can push off our next server for 4 to 6 months but will that be enough ?

Thanks

Comment

I don have exact timeframe. As more people using it -- we get more info on how stable it is. I think it is getting very stable -- but still not as good as CL6. Maybe another 2-6 months...

Comment

Hi Igor, at the time of this writing, for cPanel servers, is CL6 still the one to go for, or is CL7 now the recommended version?

Are there any remaining CL7-specific issues we should be aware of?
            Thanks in advance!

Comment

There is no kernel level issues with CL7 at this moment (solved with latest stable release)
              Ruby/Python selector issues solved in beta repo, but not yet moved to production
              alt-php4.4 (probably not needed by most) is not compatible with CL7 yet.

Otherwise CL7 is getting really stable, and I think we will start recommending it within next 3 months. For now we still recommend CL6

Comment

Good news !
                We are watching our disk space carefully but still have enough for a few more months before requiring an upgrade.
                Do you know how many servers are running CL7 in production ?

Comment

Hello, sorry to be impatient,
                  We use litespeed so ruby selector is not an option yet, PHP 4 is not required either.
                  If we had to start a new sever in a month is cloudlinux 7 still not a good choice ?

We are looking at the following configuration :

Cloudlinux 7
                  cPànel
                  Litespeed
                  Dual xeon E5 2660 v3
                  256 GB ECC DDR 4
                  12 x Intel 3500 DC 800 GB SSDs in Harware Raid 10 (lsi)

This configuration needs to last us at least 6 years so Cloudlinux 6 is not an option.

We will be migrating a much smaller Cloudlinux 5 server to this server which hosts about 250 small cpanel accounts.

Should we try to wait much longer ? Or is Cloudlinux 7 nearly stable, or maybe even already stable ?

Comment

Sorry dont want to Hijack but could not help noticing "We use litespeed so ruby selector is not an option yet" I also use Litespeed and was about to try and add this function for customers. Is this an issue just on CL6 or is it also on CL7?

Comment

It requires work from litespeed. They have it on their todo list but not with a high priority from what Ive understood. Maybe you could check litespeeds forums and let them know you are interested about this.

Comment

Ruby/Python selector are not working with litespeed (yet). And really there is no ETA on it.

About kernel to choose - better to use CloudLinux 6 which is more stable then 7.

Comment

Hello,

We are waiting for Cloudlinux 7 to become stable enough before installing a new serveur.

We don want to install Cloudlinux 6 as we need a more recent version of CURL for PayPal and Ownloud implementations without causing any issues with cPanel.

Igor said you would start recommending Cloudlinux 7 in 2 to 6 months, as its nearly 2 months, I was wondering if it was there or nearly there.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X